Sunday, June 8, 2014

BunnieCakes: Vegan and Gluten-free paradise

Ciao Nutrinutters!

I am very excited to write this post...my very first food review!

When a friend from work one day told me that she knew the owner of a gluten free AND vegan cupcake place, I could hardly contain my excitement with the news!
For those of you, like me, who have tried many times exploring with gluten free flour and were disappointed with the end product can understand why I was lured at the idea of talking to someone who has figured it out!

An that is how I recently had the opportunity to meet one of the most inspiring women. Her name is Mariana Cortez, she is a mother of 3, founder, owner and vegan pastry chef of the charming cupcake paradise called BunnieCakes located in downtown Miami.

Like many, what drove her to go down this path was her kid being gluten sensitive. On his birthday, Mariana went out in search for a gluten-free birthday cake for her boy and was not able to find one. Frustration pushed her to get one of her family recipe cakes and dive into the world of gluten free flours.

The day we met, she told me her story and after trying a mouthwatering guava gluten-free and vegan cupcake and having it taste better than a regular cupcake, I could only help but wonder how long it took her to master this recipe. This is when she tells me that it took her an entire year of experimenting to finally create her gluten-free flour blend for the cupcakes. Amazing right?
After we talked for a while, I knew that I could only get myself to leave the shop with a dozen of her mini cupcakes.


So I wanted to share with you how my little bites to paradise went!

Some of the cupcake flavors that I chose included: guava, chocolate chip, triple chocolate (can you tell that I love chocolate, haha), passion fruit, key lime pie, blueberry, strawberry, carrot cake and a few others.
Never did I imagine that there could be such a decadent gluten free cupcake! I did halfsies with my friend on each of these and here’s what we thought:

Chocolate lovers, these are for you!

One bite and you will feel the chocolate melt in your mouth! And these are vegan! Coming from a chocoholic, my favorite from these were the triple chocolate ;)

If you are more into fruits, the blueberry one was my favorite.

This cupcake has not only blueberries inside, but is topped with a delicious, sweet blueberry - it truly was the cherry on top. Although this one was my favorite, passion fruit and guava were a close second!

And lastly, if you are more into the coffee cake flavors, cinnamon, carrots and coconut will win your heart over!

If you are ever in the Miami area, be sure to stop by and check these cupcakes out! I promise this will be quite a treat ;)

Well, that wraps up my first food review...I hope you enjoyed it and until next time!

xoxo
-The Nutrinut-

No comments:

Post a Comment