Monday, June 30, 2014

Strawberry-Banana Soft Serve

Ciao Nutrinutters,

Banana soft serve...
I've seen videos, recipes and pinned just about every version of soft serve ice cream.
Haven’t heard this term before? It is usually done with frozen bananas blended into ice cream consistency and voila! You've got yourself vegan ice cream.

The idea always intrigued me. Although it was pretty clear from the videos that it did look like ice cream, I just always wondered if it just tasted like bananas, because that’s what it is after all! And if I am craving ice cream, will a banana soft serve do it for me?

So of course when I saw some spotted bananas in my kitchen, I chopped it up and didn't think twice to freeze it. When Saturday came along and I craved dessert after lunch, I remembered that not only did I have my one frozen banana but frozen strawberries too!

So this is what I did:

Placed in the food processor 1 medium frozen banana with about 1 cup of frozen strawberries.



I read that adding vodka helps with maintaining the creamy consistency. Not having vodka at home, I found some random white wine in my fridge…maybe not the best idea but I thought “what the heck!” and added 1 tablespoon of this wine. I recommend adding something sweet like moscato…

I confess I struggled to get the creamy consistency without adding any liquids because my food processor is not that potent, so I added 2 tablespoons of almond milk. And for the final touch, to make sure that it didn't only taste like a frozen banana-strawberry smoothie, I added 1 tablespoon on vanilla extract…we wanted dessert after all ;)



And the strawberry on top...



As for the taste, I loved it! Giving it 4.5 stars simply because this is the first recipe I try. If you are looking for a healthy, easy AND tasty way to cool off this summer, I’d give this one a go. Especially with the summer heat here in Miami, this is exactly what I needed!

And just to give this recipe a little more credit, my parents and boyfriend approved too ;)

Bonus good news: it stays just as good the next day too!

Just make sure to take it out of the freezer and wait 5 minutes so it’s easier to scoop out.

Strawberry-Banana Soft Serve Recipe: (serves 2-3)

  • 1 medium frozen banana
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 tablespoon white wine/vodka
  • 2 tablespoons of almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract


Process in food processor until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.


XOXO
-The Nutrinut-

No comments:

Post a Comment