Monday, June 23, 2014

DIY: Coco-Lavender Face Cleanser

Ciao Nutrinutters,

For a few years now I've been investing a good chunk of my paycheck on beauty products.

If you are like me, just about anything irritates your skin, whether it is leaving it too dry or making it very oily or just giving you dermatitis (an irritation of the skin). I started a nonstop process of reading articles talking about all the harmful substances and realized that my super expensive, healthy, organic, natural, full of antioxidants, miracle product also have these in their label (usually aaaall the way in the bottom of the list of ingredients…but it is still there!). I just about lost it when I realized that my $30 shampoo (that lasts me less than 2 weeks) also contained way down at the bottom a few of the no no’s…I thought this shampoo only had bananas and essential oils for cryin’ out loud!

So now I am listening to a little Bossa Nova (Brazilian music, very relaxing btw!) and sharing with you how I converted to DIY...

The idea started probably a couple of weeks ago when I thoroughly read the entire list of ingredients in my shampoo and decided I could do better! I guess I am a little late to the DIY party but I like to think that I am fashionably late ;)
I started looking at pinterest (I am also a lot more appreciative of this now) and googling in general DIY beauty products. Now, the beauty about working in a supplement company is that I am a lot more aware of all the possibilities that are out there. I looked up recipes that I could make with the raw ingredients sold in my company and found quite a few! How to decide? So many scrub recipes, shampoo, face cleansers…

I confess that I was so enthused with the idea that I just randomly purchased a bunch of essential oils, coco-lavender face cleanser came to be.
Moroccan clay, Castile soap and shea butter. Since I forgot a few ingredients for the shampoo recipe I wanted to give a go, I decided to try instead the cleanser. I adapted a recipe with a switch of ingredients and that is how

It was Saturday morning and time for the nutrinut to get cookin’.
Here’s what I did:

Recipe:

-          1 cup distilled water
-          2 tbsp castile soap
-          ¼ cup coconut oil
-          2 tbsp raw honey
-          1 tbsp shea buter (melted*)
-          20 drops lavender essential oil

*place container with water half way in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and place other container that only contains the shea butter in the hot water and allow shea butter to melt. (like picture below)



Mix all ingredients and place contents in a container for you to use. I placed mine in a bottle with pump.

Make sure to shake bottle before each use to mix well all ingredients.


I've used this cleanser 3 days already and I’m still in love! I found that it not only cleans the skin, but also hydrates and I haven’t had the need to use my face moisturizer at all! And because of that, my skin is a lot less oily during the day. My skin is combination by the way...

It might be early to say since usually you need to use a product more than 3 days to know how effective it is, but these simple ingredients have done a lot more for my skin than all of the expensive products I've used in the past…a lot more pocket friendly too ;)

So are you going to give this one a go?? Let me know how it works out for you :)

XOXO
-The Nutrinut-


4 comments:

  1. I am also lover of home made products as they are cheaper and more fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how neat! Do you have any recipes to share? :)

      Delete
  2. I also have sensitive skin, so I'm very picky about the products I use on my skin. It's just a bummer that the best hypoallergenic and mild skin products ideal for sensitive skin comparatively cost much more than the usual stuff. DIY recipes are just amazing because one can do them in the comfort of their own home with items that can be easily procured from the grocery. I started doing some DIY skincare items too and I'm loving every single one of them, although I still have some commercially produced things on my toiletries. I've been searching for a lot of items around the blogosphere and I find that there are a lot of bloggers out there who love making their own DIY scrubs and mud masks. Your recipe is definitely one great item that I'll be trying myself. Thank you so much for sharing! I wish you all the best!

    Lillia Valle @ La Fleur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lilia! Thank you so much for your comment and for sharing! I completely understand what you mean. There are really great DIY recipes out there. Do you happen to know any good shampoo recipes? I confess I feel like I've tried just about everything and ended up having to go back to Lush.

      Delete