Thursday, August 7, 2014

Avocado Chocolate Mousse


Guten tag my dear Nutrinutters,

I admit I am a little late to this trend, but I still wanted to give this a try!

When I found the most amazing avocado in the supermarket yesterday the initial idea was to make a lime and avocado tart, but being that I was exhausted from work, I decided to try the avocado chocolate mouse recipe that has been trending for a few months. I do love regular chocolate mousse, but I am a true lover of avocados and cacao, so why not give it a go and try to make a healthier recipe, right?

The perks of avocados

Not only are avocados delicious and can be used in just about any recipe from dips to a butter substitute in baking (I recently learned that it even goes well in soup!), but they are rich in vitamins and minerals, contains the good fats, and has an amazing amount of fiber (1 cup has about 10 grams!). Because this fruit is so nutrient dense, consuming it will give you anti-inflammatory benefits and support cardiovascular health!



The perks of cacao

EVERYTHING! haha, pardon my enthusiasm but I am a true dark chocolate lover :)
Cacao is mainly known for being rich in antioxidants but what you might not have been aware of is that our gut bacteria seems to be fond of it too! And after all the studies that have been coming out on probiotics and gut bacteria, we want to keep the little fellas happy.



So now to the Avocado Chocolate Mousse...


Trying to find the recipe that I had fallen in love with a while back because of its simplicity, was like trying to find a needle in a haystack! But luckily I remembered the ingredients: avocado, cacao and honey. I was in luck! I  had all of the ingredients.

Although I didn't have the right measurements, I decided to wing it and make it my own. I started with 1 cup of avocado, 1 teaspoon of cacao and 1 teaspoon of honey. The taste was good but no chocolate mousse flavor. After blending, tasting, adding a little more, blending and tasting again, this was my chocolate avocado mousse recipe:

Avocado Chocolate Mousse (yields 1-2 servings)


Ingredients:

1 cup of avocado
3 teaspoons of cacao
1-2 teaspoons of honey
Optional: 1 date


Directions:

Blend in food processor.
Decorate with berries or sprinkle cacao on top.

This recipe did not disappoint! It's not only healthy but the best part is that the taste was amazing! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know if you give this one a try, I'd love to hear from you ;)



XOXO
-The Nutrinut- 

No comments:

Post a Comment