Saturday, August 2, 2014

Quinoa and Spinach Bake


I think a lot of people will be able to relate to this...

Lately, the more I think about it the more I want to switch over to veggie world and not have meat anymore. What brought this on? A few years back, we adopted the cutest half cocker spaniel half yorkie named Carrie (after Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City). The name suits her very well since she likes men and shoes ;)

What does Carrie have to do with me wanting to enter veggie world?

Everything! I noticed that slowly I stopped enjoying meat as much because all I can think about is how these animals are raised and immediately make the connection with our little mutt, "what if that were Carrie?". And although this might sound like nonsense to some, she is a very special part of the family (plus she has perfected the "puss in boots" look, haha).

This is why for date nights I find myself always looking at the vegetarian side of the menu and when I'm going on my Pinterest sessions I'm always attracted to the meatless recipes. This is how I found Quinoa and Spinach Bake.

The perks of Quinoa 

Last year (2013) was "The International Year of the Quinoa" for a reason. One of the main perks of quinoa is that it's considered a complete protein source, meaning that it contains good amounts of the essential amino acids. It is also a good source of healthy fats and fiber. Pretty good right?



The perks of Spinach

This recipe also has a good amount of spinach. I love spinach! I add it to everything I can think of, including my morning smoothies. Spinach is a good source of so many nutrients that I don't even know where to begin! But just to name a few: Vitamin K, Vitamin A, manganese, magnesium and folate!



So ladies and gents, I present Quinoa and Spinach Bake, it's Vegetarian and Gluten-free!



Ingredients (serves 6-8)

Grains and Seeds:                       Eggs and Dairy:

1/4 cup sesame seeds                                        2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup uncooked quinoa                                      1 cup greek plain yogurt

Produce:                                      Spices, Seasonings, Oil:

1 pound baby spinach                                         2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra)
1 shallot diced                                                    1 tbsp dried thyme
2 cloves garlic                                                    1/4 tsp chili powder
                                                                         1/2 tsp ground white pepper
                                                                         3/4 tsp salt

Instructions


  • Cook your quinoa like rice (2 cups of water for per cup of quinoa)
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Coat a baking dish with a little olive oil or coking spray if you have any, then coat with sesame seeds.
  • Cook for a few seconds spinach in a pan with a little water, just until spinach gets bright green. Drain water and set spinach aside.
  • Heat olive oil in pan. Add: shallot, garlic, thyme and chili powder and saute. Remove from heat and transfer to medium bowl.
  • Add: spinach, cooked quinoa, yogurt, eggs, salt and pepper to the shallot mix, making sure ingredients are combined.
  • Transfer quinoa mixture to baking dish and place in oven. Bake until it reaches a golden brown color. Mine took 45-50 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and enjoy! :)


This dish goes very well with your favorite salad and olive oil on top.

XOXO
-The Nutrinut-




1 comment: